Friday, September 01, 2006

"Christian Politics"

As I read several friends blogs, and links to other blogs, to other blogs. I become more and more disturbed about one thing. Our "politics" as Christians. It seems more and more we as well as the rest of the nation want to turn away from the actual history that America was founded as a christian nation. I was actually very surprised to hear this from many people that thought it was fact. When in reality that is as far off-base as one can go. Here are just a few small examples of the true history of the founding of our nation.

52 of 55 signers of our Declaration of Independence were deeply religious

Immediately after creating our government the Continental congress bought 20,000 bibles for the people of the nation (as a governmental purchase)

Quote from Patrick Henry: "It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religion, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ."

George Washington in his farewell speach: "It is impossible to govern the world without God and the Bible. Of all the dispositions and habits that lead to political prosperity, our religion and morality are the indispensable supporters".

In 1782 the U.S. Congress voted this resolution: "The congress of the United States recommends and approves the Holy Bible for use in ALL SCHOOLS"

Of the first 108 universities founded in America. 106 were distinctly Christian.
The Harvard Student Handbook rule #1: the students must know Latin and Greek in order that they may STUDY THE SCRIPTURES

For over 100 years over 50% of Harvard Grads were ministers

There are many more examples that I could list. But I think the point has been made. Our nation was founded as a Christian nation. Unfortunately, now our nation is so depraved morally. What is even more sad is that many Christians were not even taught that it has not and should not be this way. This is where "Christian politics" come into play. I know and acknowlege that my allegiance is first to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To that end I feel that I need to be involved in decisions that are made in the place I live. A country that once was a deeply Christian nation. And despite as bad as it has become. Why do you think we are attacked by Muslim extremists? It is not because we are athletically or mentally superior or a threat. It is because we are still viewed as a Christian nation.

Although our nation is not where any of us would like it to be: ie. Gay marriage, abortion, etc... We must continue to be ACTIVE in our government. It is shocking for me to hear of others that will not vote, or do not care about the affairs of the nation in which we live. To many times as Christians we take a passive approach and become the "silent majority" on major issues. I hear people all the time talking about how America is going down hill, yet doing nothing.

Despite all the immorality in the U.S. we are in better shape than all of Europe, most of Asia and many other nations. To this end I feel we must be proud that we do have religious freedom, and must attempt to gain back the "Christian" part of America.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen! Oops can I say that word refering to our nation.

Jamey said...

You are so smart...and very adament about this topic.

kellieja said...

Do I know you from Mt. Dora?

Kenny Simpson said...

I went to MDB. Graduated in '98.

Roxy Wishum said...

Good comments! I agree that the current war(s) in the middle east are not about geographical borders nor oil but about fundemental differences in how we perceive God and our relationship with Him. Same as always. Only now, it is clear; Muslims want to kill us because we are Christian and half of us don't even realize that is how we are perceived by them.

kellieja said...

I thought I knew you. I thought I know a Kenny Simpson from MDB but I cant tell from your pic.
Its funny I found you through TalyorH's blog. I was older than you and I am pretty sure you were in my little sis's class(TraceyJ).
Anyway, since I found you check this out.....
Mdb Alumni

or

MDB alumni Frappr map

Kenny Simpson said...

Roxy,
Agree all the way. To many of us feel that America is not viewed as a Christian nation. When, although we do not have the morals we need to have, it is viewed by 99% of the world as Christian and targeted by Muslims who are ordered to fight Christians.

KellieJa,
I knew Tracy at MDB. Thanks for the site.

Kenny Simpson said...

Should also be noted that in the Koran, the Muslims are comanded to "spread the religion by whatever means necessary". You are right that many "Muslims" in America are not as committed to their cause.