Thursday, September 21, 2006

Top Christian Groups

I love Christian music. Ask Jamey, I own every wow that has been put out and will ask for Wow 2007 this year for Christmas. I love older artists, I love the newer artists. Here are my top 10 favorite. And my bottom groups.

10. Salvador: Not a very well known group. But I heard a few of their songs on WOW and bought a CD. I love almost every song.

9. Acappella and AVB: This shows my church of Christ roots. I grew up with these groups and still enjoy their music. Unfortunately I have lost many of my CD’s/Tapes of these two groups. So if anyone has a copy I’d like to copy it (I’ll pay for any expenses, you can’t even buy many of the albums anymore).

8. David Crowder: Very good music. Great to worship with in the car. Has a very distinct voice that is really not my favorite, but I love his passion and lyrics. I think he will also move up the more music he puts out.

7. Mercy Me: Love their albums. I will move them up as they stay around. They have a cross over hit with “I can only imagine”, but have many more songs that are just as good if not better. The lead singer has a very distinctive voice that I enjoy. Their lyrics are very deep as well.

6. Jars of Clay: The song “worlds apart” is an all-time favorite of mine. But “Flood” is another that topped the charts for awhile. Also have many others. The newer albums are decent, but not like those first ones.

5. Jeremy Camp: A newer artist. I don’t even own a CD of his, but love his music on the Christian radio.

4. Michael W. Smith: The legend. He has been there from the beginning. From “Go west young man” to his newest albums he has songs that will be forever remembered. I prefer his worship albums, but many of his older ones are also very good. “Friends” will always be a big hit in the Simpson family.

3. DC Talk: Many top albums. I personally love all from the old school raps to the newer alternative style. Their lyrics have inspired me since I was young.

2. Third Day: This group has burst onto the scene in the last 5 years (for me). I own many of their earlier albums and love their live stuff. Mac Powell (I think that is the name of the lead) has a great voice. I love the message of many of the hits, but the band is very skilled as well.

1. Steven Curtis Chapman: My all-time favorite. I own about every album he has put out. Have listened to him since he first got started and continue to buy his albums. His recent releases continue to inspire. I love his voice, but more importantly his message. BTW: Has any song been played in weddings more than “I will be here”.


THE BOTTOM FIVE
5. Petra: Christian rock is hard enough to get behind. Christian 80’s rock is way harder. This is like listening to the big bands of the 80’s singing Christian music.

4. Geoff Moore: Has good lyrics and is probably a really good guy. His music is just awful. “Homerun” is terrible.

3. Amy Grant: Had two or three good songs. “Baby, baby” is not one of them. Her personal life puts her here. (Others that were good, but had personal issues: Michael English). Not saying she cannot be forgiven, it just makes it hard for me to buy her Cd’s.

2. 4 Him: The backstreet boys of Christian music. Had one good song on a Wow CD awhile back, but the rest was awful.

1. Point of Grace: They have about as much depth as a Frisbee in their music. And the all girl group is not even that good of singers.

6 comments:

Kenny Simpson said...

I had to write something. This blog has been up a day and has 0 comments.

Baron said...

dc Talk is hands down my favorite Christian band, and I'm a big fan of Toby's solo stuph.
Also, love Third Day, SCC, Newsboys, and a few others. I've lost the Christin amusic trail I used to be on and am not that familar with many of the newer artists out there.

Greg said...

I've heard very good things about the new Jars of Clay disc released a couple of weeks ago. I haven't heard it yet, but you may want to check it out. I'm hoping to grab it soon. Their first couple of discs have been their best, but I did also like their last one a lot (Redemption Songs). I've heard the new one is more like their early stuff, so that's a good thing.

I went on a mission trip to Russia in 94 with AVB. They were great guys. Wasn't my kind of music, really, but they were good at what they did.

David Crowder has become one of my favorites. I'm going to a DCB and Third Day concert here in Little Rock in a couple of weeks. I've been waiting a long time for that, as I've never seen either of them live. I'm not as big of a Third Day fan as I used to be (like Jars, early stuff is better), but it should be a great show. DCB's "A Collision" is one of the best discs I've bought in many years.

Your bottom 5 are all pretty dated now, but I was a big Petra fan in the late 80's/early 90's. I still like to listen to it, but it doesn't seem nearly as good as it did back then :)

You should check out Derek Webb, too.

Lerra said...

Haha...I used to LOVE Geoff Moore & the Distance. I think one time Baron used the bathroom next to him.

Once you get a chance to hear some CIA, you will definitely put them in the top 3. And I agree with Baron that DC Talk is my fave. I tend to enjoy the same Christian music as he does. And I love the old school Acapella. Not so much the new stuff, but give me some "Shut De Do" any day of the week. :-)

Kenny Simpson said...

Love DC Talk. Acapella was great. And I still listen to their old stuff.

Acappella said...

I like Acappella's old stuff and the new stuff. A lot of their new stuff sounds like their old stuff. :)