Thursday, September 14, 2006

Top Ten Reality Shows

The last post got me thinking. Here is a look at my top ten reality tv shows of all time (which is really just the last 6 years or so).

Top 10 Reality TV shows

10. America’s got talent: A rip-off of American Idol, but at least it got us through the summer. And you have to love the baywatch guy attempt to be serious.

9. Dancing with the stars: Not one of my favorites but it seemed everyone else got into this. My suggestion: get real stars.

8. The Bachelor: Good shows. The first few that were original were the best. From then it got hokey (ie: the bachelorette).

7. Joe Millionaire: Great show. The premise was that this guy was filthy rich (when in reality he made like $18,000 a year. The girls fall for him and when he picks a girl he had to tell her he was not rich. Great ending.

6. Nashville star: May actually have more talent than the more popular American Idol (Bucky would not have even made this show). I like how they have to be able to play an instrument.

5. The Apprentice: I never really got into this one. But the “your fired” has taken off.

4. Trading Spaces: Jamey’s favorite show. Everyone knows the idea, go over to neighbors house and fix up a room with a designer to help.

3. Amazing Race: One of the few I would actually like to be on. Jamey and I would tear it up. Love watching the different personalities come out. Cheered on the Hippies last year to victory (although the frat boys were hilarious and probably should have won).

2. American Idol: Don’t know if it is a reality show, or talent show. But it has the highest ratings and keeps Fox in business. Almost anyone under 40 in the U.S. at least has an idea of what is going on. From the awful singers in the beginning, to the ones that hang on too long (Chicken Little), to the great singers in the end it is a great show.

1. Survivor: It is my favorite and had the highest ratings for a long time. Looking forward to the new ones every year.


Not quite there:

Big Brother: A little too much of nothing for me

The MTV shows: Road Rules and Real World and Pimp My Ride

2-a-days (can’t stand Hoover High)

Contender: Was my number 11. I think the show is a good one, but its more a competition than reality show

American Inventor: Did the football guy win?

Supernanny: Hard for me to watch all those bratty kids.

Top Chef: For my father who loves the food shows.


Tell me which should be higher than others, or not at all on the list…

20 comments:

Kenny Simpson said...

I know Jamey: it is "you're fired" not "your fired".

Jamey said...

What happened to, "I'm starting football season; this is going to be my last post for a while"?! Two in a few hours is a bit over the top. Are the kids safe?

(You know I'm just jealous that I don't have anything to blog about. Maybe my game tonight will change that.)

Jamey said...

But back to the post; you know we're going to be on Amazing Race someday, and maybe we'll win the big bucks.

Jamey said...

But back to the post; you know we're going to be on Amazing Race someday, and maybe we'll win the big bucks.

Kenny Simpson said...

We are reviewing for test today.

Jason said...

Dancing with the Stars? More like Dancing with the Has-Beens and the Never-Will-Be's.

Survivor is great. I'm pumped about the new season. Sunny and I have watched Big Brother for the last two summers...it's awesome. And Amazing Race is awesome too. Maybe Sunny and I could get on the same season as y'all and we could have a secret alliance or something.

Jamey said...

I was kidding with you...I know you're a great teacher.

The football coaches I had read the newspaper during class and never taught.

Unknown said...

Amazing race would be a blast to go on. But Kenny, you, under no circumstances whatsoever would ever be allowed to even touch the map or ask someone for directions. Example - the trip to the ghetto and back and back to the ghetto to find a U-Haul place.

Jamey said...

Normally when it comes to Kenny and directions, I would laugh along with you, but going to the U-Haul place by way of Egypt was not Kenny's fault!

(But he was the one in the lead....)

Kenny Simpson said...

I have a great sense of direction... The Uhal was the druggie on the other end of the phone. No thoughts on the other shows. Anyone watching 2-a-days? What about Contender? If we watch survivor is it ok to cheer for the white tribe?

Unknown said...

Stacy and I are hooked on the Contender. Not a game but a competition but more of a reality show than BB or Survivor. 2-a-days is crap, not about football at all. Watched part of one episode and turned it off. Would you cheer for AF against Grambling?
Cheer for the white people unless they are idiots.

Kenny Simpson said...

I would cheer for AF. But I would cheer for AF if they were all black and playing an all white team too.

Carris Family said...

Nope... on American Inventor the child car seat guy won. I watched & was dissapointed! Thanks for commenting on our blog!
Rob

Stacey said...

I love the Apprentice. My wife loves dancing with the stars. We both love Extreme Home Makeover. (Does that one count as reality TV?) And I think American Idol is good to watch.

Kenny Simpson said...

Rob,
Was hoping the football invention would win. Nice to get back in touch with you guys.

Kenny Simpson said...

Chris,
I'd say extreme home makeover would qualify. I just put trading spaces because it seemed more popular.

Baron said...

Ok, I'll admit I like watching 2-a-days for the simple fact that Rush Propst is sooo over the top it makes me laugh. Chad and I were discussing the Rush Propst guide to parenting. "Son, is this what you call coloring. You are a disgrace to the crayola box. You don't even deserve to use this box. Don't even ask to use them until you can come prepared to work because guess who owns the crayolas...ding!

Yes, the girl drama is a bit much, but I like watching practice and the games. My name is Baron and I am a football junkie.

Kenny Simpson said...

From having met Probst, he is every bit as over the top in life as on the show. I watched him tell a college recuiter that he was too busy with his phone call to talk about a player. That's who I want my son playing for...

Jamey said...

When I read your last comment Kenny, I thought you were talking about Jeff Probst-host of Survivor...I was about to ask you when you actually met him. I guess the whole reality show original post threw me off!

Lerra said...

This tends to be my general opinion on reality shows: if it is a competition that requires some kind of talent to win, I like it. (American Idol, America's Got Talent, etc...although I've never gotten into Survivor or The Amazing Race.) Usually if there is too much drama then I don't care about it (Road Rules, Real World). And of course Trading Spaces is one of my favorite shows. Anything with home decorating or remodeling is cool with me. And I, like Baron, enjoy Two-A-Days because of the insanely passionate coach. And they're in Alabama, so how can you not support that?