Tuesday, September 12, 2006

I Hate Losing


Ever since I was a little child I have been the most competitive person I know. I would play atari with my dad and if I lost I would cry all night in my room, and have to be coxed out to eat dinner. When I played sports I would not be able to be around others if we lost (this is at the age of 6).
Now a more mature me still can't stand to lose. I know it is a part of life, just not a fun one. Coaching at ACA has been a great experience for me. I love "my boys" and would do anything for them. They have improved a ton from the jamboree to now. We played our best game the other night in front of about 5000 people in our stadium and got beat. We didn't just get beat. We got beat in overtime. On fourth down. When we covered the reciever as well as possible the ball just got between two of our guys to their guy. I can't stand losing and it has taken me since friday to finally be able to forget (somewhat) the woulda-shoulda-coulda's of the game.
Most of you know Jamey and I are probably the most competitive couple. With a combined 0-7 record the Simpson's have had to mature a little in this respect. I still cannot stand losing, but in the middle of the game one of the officials was talking to the head coach and me about a local coach who recently passed away at a young age. He mentioned their were over 1000 at the funeral of boys he had mentored. And that helped me to see that I did not get into coaching to win games, but to win boys for Christ. So even though I hate to lose, I love coaching no matter the outcome.

9 comments:

Jamey said...

I know there are already thousands of lives out there that you've touched. One of the reasons I love you so much is because you care about each and every individual that you come in contact with, in the classroom or on the field.

Sunny said...

You are the coach that each and every one of those boys needs. When that win comes, it will be such a great experience.
Jamey and I still have to beat you and Jason in spades!

Unknown said...

These boys look up to you and so do the ones at MA. Years from now they will still remember their high-school coach. You are in a situation where you have that ability to win them to Christ if they are not there and to show those who are how a Christian man is supposed to be.
You and Jamey give new meaning to 'competitive' --- didn't Jamey complain because you had more comments than her. geez.

Baron said...

well said coach...well said

Kenny Simpson said...

Thanks. Now maybe we can beat St. James...
Sunny, you and Jamey better practice ALOT if you want a piece of Jason and me.

Lerra said...

Remind me not to play any board games with you & Jamey...

Jason said...

No amount of practice can make up for the total beat down you girls received last time. Bring it on anytime ladies...

Jamey said...

Why does this spades thing keep re-emgering!?

Name the place and time boys...bring it.

Jason said...

You're on, girls.

Seriously, Kenny, I know you're a tremendous influence to your students and players. Teachers and coaches have a daily opportunity to "stand in the gap" to minister to these teens. I know it can be taxing at times, but I hope you're encouraged by knowing that your service is service to the Lord. He is glorified through your life.