Thursday, January 18, 2007

Ouch

I hate needles. I have never in my life been okay with them. When I was about 5 my mom told me it took 5 military doctors to hold me down to give me stitches in my chin. I dreaded doing blood work for the life insurance company.

Well yesterday I decided to "man-up" and give blood at the ACA blood drive. I figured I needed to set a good example and face my fear. Besides, Jamey has given blood several times and was done in minutes it couldn't be that bad...could it?

After getting up my courage I got in the chair and looked away as the nurse took 10 minutes to find a vein. I kept thinking "is this normal". Apparently it wasn't. After she dug around in my arm to find it (OUCH) we finally got going.

Not too bad, until near the end when my blood stopped (how does blood stop anyway?). I had enough blood for the bag (with her moving the needle in and out of the vein to get more blood (OUCH), but not enough to fill up the little tubes. So...we had to use the other arm. After digging around in that one, we got the blood. So now I have two arms that are sore from the moving of a needle around on the inside.


OUCH

9 comments:

Jamey said...

"My arm hurts!"

Roxy Wishum said...

With "tracks" like that, I hope you don't have a job interview coming up.

Unknown said...

You big weenie!!!

Well, not really, the last time I gave blood I didn't watch the whole time and was fine then I watched her put the blood in the tubes and got light headed and hot and they had to elevate my feet an d put ice pack on my neck.

I am such a wuss!!!

Luke Dockery said...

Kenny,

I left a response to your comments on the Razorbacks on my blog; I'll apologize in advance about the length of the response.

Sorry you had such a hard time giving blood. The first time I gave blood was at a blood drive in high school, and I remember I had a double header that night for baseball. I almost passed out during warmups.

Kenny Simpson said...

Luke: I couldn't imagine playing a game after that.

Baron said...

Last time I gave blood I passed out...AT WORK. yeah, that was a wee bit embarrassing. I had never done that before, so I blame it on the nurse. :)

Jamey said...

what's wrong with you guys and giving blood?!

Kenny Simpson said...

I'd almost rather they just cut my arm and let it bleed into the bag.

Unknown said...

Never understood why you just couldn't pick a scab or something and let that bleed.