Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Great Quotes

As a teacher of 8th grade students I hear some wonderful thoughts every day. I wanted to share some of them with you. I don't put names because I am sure I said some dumb things when I was in that grade. Here you go:

When discussing the original 13 colonies one said: "yeah now we have 52 states". When asked by a classmate why we had 52 states he said, "duh, Hawaii and Alaska just joined".

When talking about how far away China was one said: "how far would it be to fly there". I said about 12-13 hours, to which he responded, "how far to drive there".

Still talking about China (but different student) one said: "how do they fit all those people on that little island, are they all in Tokyo" (the capital of Japan for any non-geographical people).

My favorite was last year: While taking a test over the states one comes to my desk almost in tears, "I can't find Alaska". I look at the map and see it and say, "it is there". She is still upset and says, "no it is always there", pointing at the spot between California and Hawaii, "it is always in a box right near California".

8 comments:

Unknown said...

those are hilarious, how do you keep from laughing. You should really keep a log of all of these and write a book.

Kenny Simpson said...

I laugh. I do need to put down all of them.

The book could be titled: "So you think your dumb..."

Jamey said...

Well, that would be ironic, because it should be entitled, "So you think you're dumb..."

:)

I bet you did that on purpose...Love ya, babe.

Kenny Simpson said...

Thanks for pointing that out.

Kenny Simpson said...

:)

jasonk said...

I don't know how you do it Kenny. Bless you.
In my spare time I teach as an adjunct at Tulsa Community College. Many of my students are adults coming back to higher ed, but I have more than my share of 18-20 year olds. It's not much better, believe me.

I heard a great quote from Britney Spears:
"I've never really wanted to go to Japan, simply because I don't really like eating fish, and I know that's very popular out there in Africa." - Britney Spears (VH1's The Greatest: 40 Dumbest Celebrity Quote)

She would fit right in!

Anonymous said...

Kenny-
While I was there a Senior told me that Mexico didn't vote for our president. I said, "No, no. I said 'New' Mexico."

Her snide reply was, "New Mexico is the capital of Mexico."

Glad she cleared that up!

Lerra said...

LOL...Jamey, I was thinking the same thing before I read your comment. :-)