Thursday, November 30, 2006

An update on the Simpson world of sports.

The year in review:

As most of you know Jamey and I coach junior high and high school kids. The beginning of this year was a good one for me. I coached the 7th and 9th grade teams and helped with the varsity basketball at Madison Academy. The 7th grade team I had went 21-0 and won the conference championship. The 9th grade team finished 13-5 despite playing many teams that were quite a bit larger than us. The varsity team at MA won the state title last year.

This summer we made a change to work with Alabama Christian in Montgomery. Jamey and I were both going to work through re-building seasons. Jamey took a team that had won 1 game last year and had very little experience to a 3-8 season (in which they led several games, but could not close them out), while I was the defensive coordinator for a team that went 2-8 (despite leading in 4 other games). We are both excited to actually be able to coach together in the upcoming year as we are the track coaches at ACA.

Most of you know I am a huge Florida Gator fan. So I was very excited when they won the national championship in basketball this past year, and they look like they have a great shot to repeat. I am also an Arizona and Air Force fan. Both had decent seasons last year, and each looks to go deep in the tournament this season (I see Air Force as a sweet 16 team, that already has beat Texas Tech, Wake Forrest (by 40) and Stanford (also by 40)).

In college football I am hoping to see Florida continue to do well. Air Force did not get invited to a bowl game, but I hope Arizona will.

In professional sports I was glad to see Dwayne Wade and the Heat win the NBA title. And while I do not see them repeating, my favorite team the Orlando Magic have the best record in the East to this point. The Dolphins got off to a very slow start at 1-6 and are now starting to act like they care. At 5-6 I don’t see the playoffs in the future, but maybe an 8-8 season. In baseball the Marlins played very well for a team of kindergarteners and maybe with a little experience they can challenge in the NL next season.

Also, in flag football in case you may have missed it. The Vaughn Park team won the title at Faulkner this past season, despite being much older and out-of-shape than every team we played.


That’s my world of sports.

4 comments:

Jamey said...

Alright, already...where's part 2 of music?

Kenny Simpson said...

Its on now.

Roxy Wishum said...

Where is your prediction on the new head coach at Alabama? As a gator fan are you pulling for Spurrier? Also, I have some questions about your track team-- concerning an old guy dropping by for some speed work to prep for the Senior Olympics.

Kenny Simpson said...

Come on by with Track. It will be a zoo anyway, and I'd love to watch the kids work extra hard not to let you beat them :)
Alabama will get either the head guy at West Virginia, or I would go with Norm Chow.