Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Music Top 100 Part 1

With movie day in history (after I have seen the video now 3 times), I thought I’d do a top 100 groups list. Since I am into Christian music, and have only been alive since 1980, my list will include some shockers I am sure. I will reveal in a 5 part series with 20 in each part. Comments are welcome to tell me who I left off and who should not be on the list.
My criteria is that the artist had to have left, or has the possibility to leave, an impact on at least their genre of music.

Here is 100-81:

100: P.O.D.: A group that is only on the list because they have the potential with a few more good albums of becoming a great group. They do have three now that are very solid albums.

99: Boys to Men: A great group. They put out several albums in the early-mid 90’s and were at the top for several years. I still enjoy listening to the harmonies they put together in their albums.

98: Frank Sinatra: Good ole’ blue eyes. A great singer that can still be listened to today.

97: John Denver: Good artist.

96: The Beastie Boys: Brass Monkey all the way. This group was great for the few years they were at the top. I still laugh to hear their music being played by the kids I coach and teach.

95: Kiss: Not one of my favorites, especially with what their name stands for, but they did have a big impact.

94: Babyface: I know he has flown under the radar, but he has great music. If you are in the mood for romance his music will help you out.

93: David Crowder: If this were my wife’s list he might be in the top 20. He is growing on me as an artist and I think he will continue to impact Christian music for many years to come.

92: Accapella: I am such a homer with this pick. But I love all the Accapella albums, especially the old ones.

91: Red Hot Chili Peppers: A group that has put out several hits in the last decade. They fly under the radar most of the time, but are a very strong group.

90: Willie Nelson: An icon to many in his industry.

89: Cake: A favorite of mine. They have only put out two good albums, but their music is very unique, even though Jamey hates it J

88: Creed: A group that has put out 2 great albums. Hopefully they can get back to their roots. If not…they will be off the list soon.

87: Dixie Chicks: I am not a fan of their politics, but do enjoy their music, obviously several million agree with me.

86: Van Halen: Had several good albums.

85: Lynyrd Skynyrd: He has put out some good music. Notably “Sweet Home” to some state.

84: Christina Aguilera: She is on the way up. Barring an unforeseen stop to her career she will continue to rise as one of the biggest voices of this generation.

83: New Kids on the Block: The first boy band to make it really big. They set the stage for all those who followed (Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, 98 Degrees, etc…). Looking back now most people would be slightly embarrassed to have listened to them, but they were huge in the 80’s.

82: Kenny G: I know many of you may be cringing at this pick, but really who doesn’t know who this guy is. If you want to hear a great saxophone, you listen to this guy.

81: Guns ‘N Roses: A great 80’s band. They put out several great songs during their time at the top and influenced an awful hairdo for a long time.

21 comments:

Jamey said...

I don't hate Cake. Just think if you have to skip more than three songs per cd, and more than four words per song, it's probably not something you should listen to.

Maybe I do hate them... :)

Unknown said...

Is this in order of good to great cuz seriously Sinatra in the bottom 20. DUDE!

Baron said...

I believe the first really great boy band was the Jackson 5, not to mention New Edition. Maybe you meant to say the NKOTB was the first all-white boy band to make it big :)

Jason said...

Sinatra rates lower than Christina Aguilera? And KISS? Come on, man.

Crowder would have to be in my top 20.

Come on, Jamey. Cake is awesome. He's going the distance...

Unknown said...

He's going for speed...


He's all alone (all alone)

Jason said...

in a time of need

Unknown said...

He's pacing and racing and plotting the course.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree!!! Gotta love Cake!!! This is an awesome idea!! I can't wait to see your top 20 cause there are some great groups in your bottom 20.

Jamey said...

That's the only song that's decent from Cake.

Name another song that they sing.

Jason said...

Jamey: Never There. I Will Survive. Also great Cake songs.

You're right, there are some that are pretty raunchy though. I don't own a whole album of theirs anymore, just a few singles.

He's fighting and biting and riding on his horse.

Kenny Simpson said...

Frank Sinatra is a Cake song also.

Just wait till the next few.

Jason, Crowder I am sure will move up. I have 6 Christian artists on the list and he is lowest, because of his somewhat short career so far.

The sun has gone down and the moon has come up...

Kenny Simpson said...

Baron: Jackson 5 is on the list much higher. NKOB is the revival of the all boy band.

And long ago somebody left with the cup...

Jason said...

But he's driving and striving and hugging the turns. And thinking of someone for whom...he...still...burns.

Kenny Simpson said...

da-do-da-do-dododod... He's going the distance. Are we ready for 80-61?

Jason said...

Bring 'em on, dude.

I might have to rip this idea off from you and post my own top 25 or something. Don't want to steal your thunder, though.

Greg said...

Creed no longer exists, as of several years ago.

Scott Stapp is solo. The rest of the band formed Alter Bridge.

Greg said...

Meant to mention, if you liked Creed, you'll probably like AB. Their first album was very good IMO.

Kenny Simpson said...

That is sad about Creed, I'll have to check out the other group.

Greg said...

Kenny, check them out at http://www.alterbridgeband.net/

Kat Simpson said...

I'll bet all those that still exist have a My Space page - most do. MAMAKAT

Kat Simpson said...

Forgot to mention that your grandfather (my dad) was mistaken for Mr. Sinatra more than once, LOL. NOT the voice, the look! Once daddy lost so much of his lung the voice was gone but those eyes!! MAMAKAT