Thursday, November 30, 2006

Top 100 Artists part II

This is numbers 80-61:

80: Faith Hill: Still making a name as one of the greatest female singers in country music. Carrie Underwood has nothing on her.

79: Gloria Estefan: The latin queen of music. I still love hearing many of her songs.

78: Alabama: Have to include my state’s namesake. They had several great songs that are the anthems ‘round these here parts.

77: Justin Timberlake: He is huge right now. After a few years we’ll see if he moves up the list (as I predict) or down the list as a short lived musician.

76: Amy Grant: Had an impact on Christian music. She was the first to be able to successfully crossover into the secular music scene.

75: Cher: Many might put her higher on the list. I am not that impressed, but had to at least include her.

74: Vanilla Ice/Marky Mark/MC Hammer: I know it is cheating to have 3 in one spot, but none could qualify on their own. These three were hits for about 1-2 years. The first two made sure everyone knew white people cannot rap. The other had his own pants.


73: Aerosmith: A great group. They put out several hits during their time at the top.

72: Randy Travis: A country favorite of mine, when I want to “dig up bones” or just listen to an artist that I can actually sing along with.

71: Green Day: Another group that is surprisingly still hanging around. I thought they’d be a one-and-done, but their longevity keeps them on the list.

70: Rod Stewart: Not one of my favorites. But he was very big during his time, and is still around producing music.

69: Jars of Clay: Another Christian group that is outstanding. Haven’t really gotten into the newer stuff, but their first 2-3 albums were great.

68: Bush: I love the Machine Head album (wish I could find it). They were a great group that seemed to vanish quickly.



67: ZZ Top: I am putting this group on here for my father-in-law. They are a good old school rock group.

66: Bryan Adams: A little sappy for me, but many women (including my wife) really enjoy his music. Wonder what he’d sound like if he quit smoking J

65: No Doubt: They have not been around as long as some that made the list, but they have already out-sold many that are here.

64: UB40: A great reggae group. Not that I am way into that style of music, but I do enjoy this group.

63: Tina Turner: We don’t need another hero is still a great song. She was great for many years, and her voice was so powerful you had to listen.


62: Billy Joel: A great artist. He has written many hits and is still good to listen to.

61: Jewel: One of the first of the female alternative artists. She has several great albums

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great group. I just have to tell you I saw Bush in concert at their peak. They were awesome!!!!!!!!!!! Gotta love the generation we grew up in. I am ready for part three!!!

Unknown said...

Bush does put on quite a show. Glycerine, machine head great songs. Your top 20 had better be huge because you have some great groups really low. Are you going for prefernce or influence cause if its influence you need to move Green Day, Sinatra, and AeroSmith way up.


Heather had her baby. Kaley Grace Adkins. 5lbs 4oz 18 inches long. Born at 1:15am. Keith was on speaker phone during delivery.

Kenny Simpson said...

Glad to hear she is doing well.

Kenny Simpson said...

Brooke: We did grow up in a great time in music.

Kenny Simpson said...

Jon: There are still alot of good groups to go, don't worry. I am more on influence (but am using alot of preference too).

Jason said...

I'd have to put Billy Joel higher up on the list. He's in my top 20 for sure.

I still can't believe some of these people rate higher than Sinatra. He's a classic.

Jars of Clay put out an album this fall that is absolutely awesome. It's called Good Monsters. Has more of an electric sound than their previous stuff, but it's awesome. You should check it out.

Jason said...

You better not have Ace Young on this list.

Kenny Simpson said...

Ace Young might have been the worst to sing for American Idol...or was Constantine "Call me" Marulous.

Jamey said...

Neither of them were the worst. Who was that guy from a few seasons ago...Matt...big guy. Remember him? He couldn't sing at all.

Jason said...

Jamey, wasn't his name Scott or Scotty or something? If he's the guy I'm thinking of, he wasn't nearly as bad as Ace. Actually, I thought that Chicken Little kid from this season was atrocious, too.

I'm surprised Green Day has stuck around as long as they have. I was in high school when their first album came out. Even then, I thought they were one hit wonders. What do I know?

I appreciate Aerosmith and their longevity, but I've reached the point that I just can't stand 'em. I used to like them a lot. It's weird how your tastes change over time.

Greg said...

echo Jason... the new Jars is one of their best.

Kenny Simpson said...

I actually liked the big guy when he sang "take a look at me now". The chicken kid was awful this season.

Kenny Simpson said...

Aerosmith is not one of my favorites, but I did like them for awhile.

Unknown said...

what about GNR?!

Jamey said...

Not talking about Scott Sabol...I actually thought he was decent. Matt was farther back... I know his name was Matt. He was on Family Feud with all of them.

Jamey said...

Matt Rogers...season 3. Just did some research. It was driving me crazy.

Jason said...

OK, I remember him. He wasn't big like fat. Didn't he have a brother that played in the NFL or some such? I remember him now. He was weak.

I hate Bryan Adams. Remember that song he did, "Tell me have you ever really...really, really, really, really, really, really....loved a wo-man..." Dude is a songwriting genius.

GNR was supposed to have a new album out in 2001. It's still not out. Somebody needs to tell Axl his 15 minutes are over.

Roxy Wishum said...

It is interesting to see the generational differences. I would not even ATTEMPT to list the top 100 artists so I am reluctant to comment on specifics in your list-- but Justin Timberlake? If I held my nose and sang "I'm bringing sexy back" could I make the list?

Kenny Simpson said...

Roxy: I really was reluctant to put him on the list, but he is number 1 to anyone under the age of 17 and has a chance to move up as they age.

Anonymous said...

If you think white men can't rap, then you obviously have never heard the hit group C.I.A. I expect to see them on your top 20 list. If you need to hear a sample, I have a cassette tape in my car ready to be played. :-)

Jason said...

White boys can rap...see the Beasties and Eminem (or however you spell it). We just can't jump.

Jamey said...

I would love to see Roxy sing "I'm Bringing Sexy Back." It would be a sell-out concert!

You could have a new career on your hands.

Kenny Simpson said...

I bet Roxy could rap.

We ready for the next group.

Roxy Wishum said...

I can't even rap a square present!