Monday, November 27, 2006

Rationalization

I have now been in the blogging world for a few months. While looking at others blogs I have come to a realization. As Christians, it seems we try to rationalize what we would like to do. Don't get me wrong, ask Jamey or my mother, I am the king of this. Finding something that I'd like to do that I know deep down is not the right thing and finding ways to make it sound ok, or at the least not that bad.
I have read blogs on why it is ok to curse, why it is ok to be gay, why it is ok to even use marijuana (spelling ??). I have heard people make cases as to why all these things are ok. Am I off here, or are we looking at a case of rationalization? I here all the time that since I believe in the use of force (military, police) that I am rationalizing something that is wrong, but at the same time I am being told that cursing, homosexuality, and drugs are ok? Is it just me or did I just jump back to the '70s and all the hippies are attacking me? (that is meant as a joke).

5 comments:

Jason said...

I thought that was GKB's MO....

Kenny Simpson said...

Could be ;)

Unknown said...

Another problem with blogging is people take it as if they were holding a private conversation with one other person and they say things that don't fly real well infront of the masses.

Jason said...

I think you're right, Kenny. We tend to rationalize things to fit our own perspective or desires. Very popular. Very dangerous.

Kat Simpson said...

jonmower, well said. Truth has nothing to fear from repeated examination. . . MamaKat