Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Sports Movies/Servant Hearts

Before I get into my top Sports Movies I'd like to share something I saw today at Alabama Christian. While driving home I saw our maintanance men working on our shrubs and cleaning gutters, etc... Of course I thought nothing about it until I drove by... As I passed them I realized who the "maintanance men" were. The President of ACA, Principle of ACA, and Assistant Priniciple of ACA all covered in sweat and dirt. This made me realize I had made the right decision to come to this school. Places I have been in the past would not have had this happen to say the least. I was very impressed and feel I am under the right type of servant leaders.

Ok, now on to two of my favorite topics, sports and movies. Here is my top 20.
Criteria: Movie must be mainly centered around sport. I don't count cheerleading or sports like Tennis, etc (sports that are stupid). Also, no racecar movies (these may be concidered a sport by some, not me) or Karate weird type sports (sorry Karate Kid fans).

20. Miracle: Great Story. Have to have at least one hockey in the top 20 incase some Canadian reads my blog. Also I enjoy clean movies based on a true story.

19. Happy Gilmore: Love Adam Sandler. One of the few who can make me want to watch golf.

18. The Rookie: Great movie. Another clean one based on a true story. Could've been higher if he hadn't made the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. I'd have changed it and put him on the Cardinals or someone.

17. The Waterboy: Adam Sandler again. A personal favorite with many great lines. "Mamamama said" this is a great movie. Also love when Lawrence Taylor says "Don't do drugs" the week before he gets busted.

16. Heaven Can Wait: Great older movie. For those who have not seen it. The main charater is the starting QB for the Rams. He is "taken" from life to early by his angel. Later on he is placed in a millionares body for awhile. Comedy that is worth renting some night. Women will even watch it with you for the smaller love story that develops.

15. White Men Can't Jump: Classic. Great actors, great plot, great dialogue.

14. Varsity Blues: Had to put it up there for the football scenes. Not a big fan of the rest of the stuff, but it had great action scenes.

13. Major Leagues Series: The first was one of the funniest movies every. Baseball fans will love it for the action, I love it for the comedy.

12. The Program: Movie that show the corruption in college sports. We don't know much about that down here around Auburn (Oops).

11. Radio: Great clean movie based on a true story.

10. Bull Duram: Classic.

9. A League of their own: Wasn't sure about putting this one up here. Not a big softball (even though they are playing baseball) fan. But the cast makes the movie. Tom Hanks, Geena Davis, Rosie O'Donnell, Madonna.

8. Field of Dreams: Great movie. Another that the whole family can enjoy.

7. The Longest Yard: Both the original and remake were great. If you have not seen the original with "The Burt" watch it.

6. Raging Bull: Robert De Niro is great as a boxer in this classic.

5. The Natural: Great Baseball classic. The last scene with the homerun is great. Only problem is that Robert Redford was already too old for this part.

4. Rudy: Could move up later. Great clean family movie.

3. Rocky Series: Rocky IV is my all-time favorite movie (the one vs. the Russian). The others are classics. This will move down on the list if the rumored Rocky VI comes out.

2. Hoosiers: Could have been number one. Great movie for the family.

1. Remember the Titans: I know it is a newer movie, but man what a classic already. Great Actors and the worlds best sport. Has great action shots and teaches several lessons. And clean enough to show any audience.


Honorable Mentions: Eight Men Out, Summer Catch, The Last Boyscout, Out Cold, Jerry Maguire, 61, All the right Moves, Friday Night Lights, Any Given Sunday, Everybody's All American, Tin Cup, Bagger Vance, Brian's Song, North Dallas Forty, Sandlot, Might Ducks, Mystery Alaska, For Love of the Game, Chariots of Fire, Bad News Bears

Worsts: He got Game, Love and Basketball, The sixth man, Basketball Diaries, Blue Chips (Notice these are all basketball movies)

Till next time

10 comments:

Jason said...

I like your list and I can't argue with any of your picks. I probably would put the original Rocky ahead of Titans, but man Denzel is awesome. And the movie's so clean, too. I love all the baseball flicks.

By the way, have you seen the previews for that new football movie coming out? It's based on the true story of the dude who walked on and played for the Philadelphia Eagles in the late 70s or early 80s. Looks good, but it's got Marky Mark in it.

For your worst list, I'd add Mr. 3000. Terrible movie. And I was at the rental store the other day and I saw they have Like Mike 2 out. No way I'm watching it, but I'll bet it stinks big time.

Baron said...

I gotta say I am shocked that Brian's Song is only an honorable mention...could it be because it makes all men cry? :)

Love your #1 pick! Remember the Titans is my all-time favorite sports movie.

Also, where would you place Above the Rim? Classic actors like Tupac...rough in sections, but overall a good message (I think)

Lerra said...

Ok, a) You are obsessed with lists. b) According to Shane, it's not "Rocky VI" - it's "Rocky Balboa". And c) The Rocky movies are stupid. Sorry, but the acting is bad, so unless you just like to watch people beat each other up, then it's a dumb movie. You may as well just watch the UFC. I know those comments will make a lot of people mad, but sorry.

Kenny Simpson said...

No one says the Rocky's have outstanding acting. But it's something about men to watch a man beat down someone bigger and stronger than them.
Above the Rim would get an honorable mention from me. It was good though. The "Air up there" is another decent one.
Also several that could have been of the list (like "Cool Runnings") didn't make it because the "weird sport" rule.
And yes I obsess with lists.

Jamey said...

I think you left off one of the best ones...newer, but really good...Coach Carter.

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

your listing is starting to scare me...

Jamey said...

Amen, Ashley!

Jason said...

The original Rocky had great acting and a great script as evidenced by the fact it won the Academy Award for Best Picture in 1976. The following Rocky movies grew more and more cheesey and the acting definitely dropped off, but the original was considered to be very well done. We'll see about the upcoming Rocky Balboa. What is it with these dudes reprising all their classic roles? Harrison Ford is in negotiations to do Indiana Jones 4, Bruce Willis is shooting Die Hard 4 (out next summer), and Stallone, in addition to doing Rocky 6 is wanting to film Rambo IV. But I doubt Mel the Anti-Semite will be getting offers for Lethal Weapon 5 anytime soon.

Sorry for the long comment. I had to defend the original Rocky. It's great.

Baron said...

The comments made by my lovely wife about the Rocky series do not reflect the attitudes of our entire household...until we get to Rocky V. That was dumb. What ever happened to Tommy Morrison AKA Tommy Gunn anyway?

Kat Simpson said...

Still looking for that Boxed Set of Rocky Movies for you, son. Guys, his HS coach used to lock the football team in the gym night before a game and watch ROCKY movies, so I think it's some kind of 'programming' thing. . .

And I _like_ lists!

Like mom like Son!