Thursday, March 29, 2007

Top 10 American Idols

This is my post over the 5 seasons I have watched of American Idol. I have my favorites and you have yours, but I will try to be somewhat objective in this list of the top 10 American Idol Contestants of all time (all 5 years). At the end I'll list my favorites and you are more than welcome to comment with yours.




10. William Hung: The man may have been the best to use his small window of opportunity and turn it into fame. I personally think he actually could sing a little in a wierd sort of way. Say his name now and everyone around will start with "She bang, she bang..."





9. I am willing to admit this is a complete homer pick. But anyone that really enjoys a great singer should love Elliott. He took many songs and made them very unique (or in the words Randy "made them his own"). His new CD is out and it is very good. Avery loves to dance around to it.

8. Justin Guarini: The first runner up. He has put out an album, I think 2. Been on the big screen. And is still in the news. He will never be a great artist but should make it as a celeb.






7. Clay Aiken: He may not have won his show, but he is much bigger now than Ruben. He is a great singer, although I am not a huge fan of his now. On the show, he may have had the biggest voice of any hopefuls.






6. Chris Daughtry: Probably the first Idol to get messed over. He should have been in at least the top 3 of his season (which in my opinion was the strongest top to bottom). He now has a big Album out which I expect to continue to climb on the charts. He is looking at a long career. On the show he was great in taking whatever the theme was and making great songs.



5. Kimberly Locke: She is one of Jamey and my favorites. I am still hopeful she'll make it to superstar status. She has the voice to do it. "Somewhere over the rainbow" was a great song for her on Idol.



4. Katherine McPhee: The runner up to a good-but-not great Taylor Hicks. May have one of the best voices in the group. I was not a fan of her somewhat snotty attitude, but she could sing. If she gets in with a good writer the sky is the limit on what kind of career she can have.





3. Jennifer Hudson: Big voice. Not that great on American Idol, but has found her place. Dreamgirls was a huge movie and her big voice was there to carry the movie.




2. Carrie Underwood: Great on the show. She has become an icon in country music now. Winning the Country Music Artist of the Year this past year. She will have a huge career. Loved her on the show. Need to buy her new CD.








1. The American Idol: Kelly Clarkson. She made the show what it is. Without someone as talented as her in the first year the show may not have got off the ground. She has a great career already and should continue to move up.



Just off the list (favorites of mine): George Huff, Mandisa, Vonzel Solomon, Nadia Turner, Josh Graysin.
Over-rated: Taylor Hicks, Bo Bice
I will post my worst American Idols (to make it in the top 12) later.
Do you think any of this seasons can even make it in the top 10.













4 comments:

Jamey said...

Kelly Clarkson looks different in every picture she takes....

Love George Huff...especially with his song, "Brighter Day."

What was the phrase from William Hung..."I pretty much struggle with everything I do..." So sad.

jasonk said...

I appreciate your American Idol list Kenny. Nice work.
A question: on what do you base your opinion? As a listener? Or as a musician? Just curious, because I know you're a coach and an athlete, but I didn't know if you also participated in the "finer" things like playing guitar, etc. :>)

As a musician, I have some opinions on AI's best ever. Taylor Hicks would be near the top, because he is a working musician, not a karaoke singer like so many others. And because he is the first and only contestant that made me want to tune in each week.
Carrie is a phenomenal singer--strong voice, powerful performer. Hudson and Clarkson have proven through their awards and success in sales that they are good, and worthy to be in your list.
And of course, who can't love William Hung?
I think that after this season, Melinda Doolittle will be on your list too. Quite the performer.

Two years ago, I was doing some voiceover work for the local Fox affiliate, and stopped by the studio one afternoon, and the lady who was taking me back to do the work asked me, "would you like to meet Kelly Clarkson? She's in the building." I said okay, and we went back and said hello. She was really nice, and exceptionally short. I was surprised, she was like 5'1".
Great list!

Kenny Simpson said...

Didn't realize she was that short. My list is based on what they have done with their career (singing or acting) from the show. I do enjoy music (I sang in a quartet that toured a little in high school) though.

Lerra said...

Quartet? What??

I love Taylor Hicks. And Chris Daughtry is way better than Elliot - sorry.