Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Random thought about Iraq

I am a firm believer in the military. I was raised a military brat, and would not trade it for anything. Along the way I have come to many of my own conlusions about people that do not support the military.

That is where I am a little confused about the issue of not supporting our troops. I know there are many that do not support the war on terror (or war in Iraq). And I understand that they have that right and duty to speak out against the war. What I always get upset with is statements against our troops. Comaring them to Nazi's, etc...

While I feel you have the right to question the war, I feel we should always support our men that are risking their lives for our country.

I also feel that too often we are much to open with our views against the war. That is why I feel America will have a hard time in any upcoming wars in the future, because we will always have those opposed. Giving an open mic to all those opposed gives those we are fighting hope. Setting solid dates allows them to know how long they must last. I would be for taking the news out of wars altogether. While awful things happen in the war, we often lose sight of the objective.

Here is an exerpt from the Heat's Pat Riley. Not really a noted politician but I feel one that hits home a good point.

In discussing the Heat's decision to honor U.S. soldiers at home games, team coach and president Pat Riley offered pointed views today when asked about the situation in Iraq.

''My personal opinion,'' Riley said, is ``what's going on in our country right now is not going to stop until the election because the Democrats, or the other side, or the nay-sayers simply are going to drive it right into the ground and become so negative with what the administration is doing until there's an election to make their point. That won't help anybody.

``That's not going to help the political process. It definitely doesn't help the soldiers because there is such a division over here. My concern is about them. . . .

8 comments:

Jason said...

I would fall in the anti-war camp. Personally, I feel that this war was a huge mistake and I would advocate keeping war as the absolute last option in any particular political situation. I feel this way because I believe scripture is clear regarding the sanctity of human life.

That said, I would also want to be known as someone who completely supports the work of men and women who serve in the military. I don't know what some people mean when they say they "support" or "don't support" our troops. But I see their service as something noble, something honorable. As an American citizen, I enjoy the freedoms that our service men and women have made possible. I think most Americans, regardless of how they feel about this particular war, would feel the same way.

I also don't think cutting and running is the answer in Iraq. To do so would be to completely undermine the sacrifices of countless military men and women who have died in this cause already.

I would have a problem with somebody who was upset about the war taking that out on the men and women of our military who are dutifully carrying out their orders. That doesn't make much sense to me.

Anonymous said...

Kenny,

First, I don't believe the claim that the expression of dissent regarding war has any significant effect on the psyche of this enemy.

Secondly, I generally believe that dissent regarding war is fueled by a war gone bad, not the other way around. If the post-invasion situation had gone swimmingly, the dissent would have been relatively muted.

Thus, I believe that the squelching of dissent would have little if any positive effect on the prosecution of a war but a strongly negative effect on democracy (which, if I remember correctly, is what we're supposedly trying to spread).

However, I completely agree that disfavor should be directed at the individuals in charge, not the soldiers on the ground.

Anonymous said...

"Support the troops" has become equal to support the president. I've even seen bumper stickers that say Support President Bush and our troops. I think we need to draw the line. I believe this war (Iraq) is wrong - I have felt that way from the beginning. It's becoming more and more obvious that information was twisted at best to support the war. I don't believe we can be against abortion but be for war. Killing is killing. As for comparing American soldiers to Nazi soldiers, that makes perfect sense to me. Do you think the Nazi soldiers felt they were doing the right thing when they were executing so many? Some of them fully believed in the effort. They were committed. Some were simply following orders. Does either make what they did the right thing?? People were tried for war crimes, as they should be. It seems the U.S. is doing the same thing in Iraq. And who decided it was our (the U.S.) responsibility to bring democracy to them anyway? How would we feel if the tide was turned?? What if - say China - decided we did not have a democracy and set out to make sure we had one? First, they'd tell their citizens that we had nuclear weapons, just waiting to destory them. They get here, and there's nothing. Okay, on to getting rid of our dictator. After all, he is an evil person. There are bombings and killings everyday, right here, on our streets. We had electricity and running water, but since the bombings have started, we don't have those things anymore. We were able to go to our churches and worship as we felt led. Not anymore. Our church houses are destroyed, sometimes with us (or relatives) sitting inside them. What would we call these people doing these things to us?? I don't think we'd have good things to say about them. How is it any different?? Just some food for thought.

Kenny Simpson said...

Jason: Very well said I agree with most of what you said.

Jonathon: While I disagree with some of your theory, I do agree that blaming Bush and not the men on the ground makes sense.

Bpb: ??? I think we may have a slightly better position than the Nazis. Killing those that fight against a free Iraq (terrorists) seems to be slightly more noble than murdering unarmed Jews by gassing them.

Luke Dockery said...

bpb,

There have been some isolated incidents of US troops doing some terrible, shameful things in Iraq, for which they should be punished.

That being said, comparing the overall actions of the US Military in Iraq to what the Nazis did is ludicrous and irresponsible.

Anonymous said...

We're killing civilians! It doesn't matter if it's tens of thousands or thousands - it's WRONG! I don't know that those soldiers thought there was anything wrong in what they were doing at the time. Just because it's not American casualites doesn't mean people aren't dying. There have been several reports that the reporting on Iraqi casualities haven't been reported accurately.

I don't think the majority of Americans want to know the truth.

Kenny Simpson said...

Do we count it if the Iraqi citizens are killed in a suicide bomb? I don't think we ought to count casualites among the Iraqis that are killed by terrorists. If anything that ought to streangthen our resolve to stop them...

Anonymous said...

Many more Iraqi have been killed since the U.S. has been involved. The Kurds are dangerous folks - not to be trusted. AT ALL. You all do remember that Hussein was a friend of the U.S. under Papa Bush don't you? He became our enemy when he signed the peace agreement with Iran. What irony.