Thursday, July 27, 2006

Top Ten Actors

This is it. The final of the top ten actors. My criteria was for movies I'd seen. If the actor was well rounded and able to carry a movie on his own.

Top Ten Actors

1. Tom Hanks : Look at his list of movies: Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan, Philadelphia, Cast Away, You've got mail, Sleepless in Seattle, Big. He has been in almost every possible role and has excelled in all of them. I will go watch a movie if he is in it.

2. Mel Gibson: Has become better with age. Lethal Weapons, Patriot, What Women Want, Braveheart, Mad Max, Maverick, Payback, Ransom, Signs, We were soldiers, and many others. Action and serious movies. It doesn't hurt that he also directed The Passion of the Christ.

3. Jimmy Stewart: Classic actor. Mr. Smith goes to Washington, It's a wonderful life, The man who knew too much, Vertigo, and many others. He was the actor of his time.

4. Bruce Willis: One of my favorites who also has gotten better with age. Die Hards, Armageddon, 5th Element, The whole 9 yards, Last Boyscout, The Kid, 6th Sense, Tears of the sun, and many others.

5. Al Pacino. Although I feel he is a supporting actor. He is a great actor. In many movies where he star opposite someone, he is the superior actor.

6. Tom Cruise: I am not a fan of the man but look at the list. MI's, Top Gun, Cocktail, Minority Report, Far and Away, A few good men, Jerry Maquire, Rain Man and many other great movies. He will carry a movie on his own.

7. Brad Pitt: Newer actor compared to the list, but has put out classics in many areas: Fight Club, Seven, A river runs through it, Mr and Mrs. Jones, and many others. He will take on many movies others would not.

8. Harrison Ford: Has to be on the list for the many decades of good movies. Starwars, Indiana Jones, Fugitive, Air Force One, K-19 Widowmaker, Patriot Games, and many others.

9. John Travolta: Has succeeded in many different types of rules. Grease, The Generals Daughter, Face Off, Basic, Broken Arrow, Ladder 49, Look who's talking, Phenomenon, Pulp Fiction.

10. Denzel Washington: A personal favorite of mine. Training day, Philadelphia, Bone Collector, Crimson Tide, Fallen, Glory, John Q, Man on Fire, Manchurian Candidate, Pelican Brief, Out of Time, Preachers Wife, and my favorite Remember the Titans. He also had many more great movies.

Honorable Mention:
Val Kilmer
Nicholas Cage
Matthew McCaughey
Marlon Brando
Charlton Heston
Dennis Quaid
Jeff Daniels
Martin Sheen

Hope youv'e enjoyed the top 10 actors. There will be more to come. Thinking about top sports movies, war movies. Throw some out that you liked.

7 comments:

Lerra said...

You forgot to mention Risky Business when talking about Tom Cruise.

I agree with the list, for the most part. Although I just had to read all of your lists at once & now I am exhausted.

Jamey said...

I'm sorry I don't have more to say about your lists...I feel as if I'm talked out about the actors from those long road trips on which we've already discussed, debated, etc. :)

Jason said...

I might put Denzel higher on the list. Everything he does is quality and he's been honored by the Academy for his efforts, which is rare for an African-American actor. Did you ever see Fallen? Great suspense flick.

Cruise scares me these days. But most of what he does is good. Minority Report was great.

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

I am so glad you put jimmy on there! yay! my all time face i think.

Kenny Simpson said...

Glad everyone enjoyed. Could have moved Denzel up, he is a favorite of mine. I saw fallen for the 10th time the other day, it is very good.

Jason said...

Speaking of Denzel, did you see Inside Man? It was out a couple months ago, but we never saw it. I think it comes out on video this month. Just wondering if it's worth watching. If Denzel's in it, I'm thinking it's probably worth a rental.

Kat Simpson said...

Hey has anyone seen Inside Man yet? I want to rent that. I'll pretty much watch anything Denzel is in. and Jason is right - Cruise is getting more and more weird - but what can you expect from someone whose religious belief is that they are aliens here on Earth! Poor little baby girl he just fathered! Mom