Thursday, February 15, 2007

Top Rivalries

I am a few days late in this post as Jason has already posted on this subject. Here are my top 10 rivalries in sports.

Top 10 rivalries

1) OSU vs. Michigan: Big game every year. This year of course had even more importance. Two states that hate each other...at least for one week every year.

2) NYY vs Boston: I am not a big baseball fan, but in just the past few years I have been on the edge of my seat for these thrillers in the post season. To actually call another organization "the evil empire" takes this to a new level.

3) Colts vs. Patriots: This game has determined the superbowl winner four of the past 6 seasons. It has shown the growth of Manning and the ratings are great every year.

4) UNC vs. Duke: The best baskeball rivals in the country. There are no other games that compare to these two going at each other at least two times a season. Normally at least one is in the top ten.

5) Auburn vs. Alabama: The state of Alabama's biggest day each year. I am new to this, but have seen first hand how going 0-4 against Auburn will get you fired quickly.

6) Fla vs. FSU: This is the new Miami vs. FSU rivalry. Great game and if you live in Florida you must pick one.

7) Phins vs. Jets: My favorite NFL game (I know I am a homer), but I hate seeing Dolphins stadium half filled with drunk yankees. GO BACK HOME!!! Who can forget the fake spike by Marino, or the 30-7 comeback by the Jets on Monday night.

8) Cowboys vs. Redskins: More tradition than most NFL games have. Great rivalry.

9) OU vs. Texas: This one is for Jon. This is his and the state of Texas' game of the year. Have been some good ones in the not so distant past.

10)Texas vs. Texas A&M: Texas has two spots in my list. This game is huge for all Texans.

I know I am dominated by football here, but hey it is hard to say there is a true rivalry with men in long shorts, or that take a break every half-inning.

Older great ones: Ali vs. Fraiser, Army vs. Navy, KC vs. Denver, Bears vs. Packers,
NYK vs. Chicago (NBA), LA vs. Boston (NBA), FSU vs Miami, Det vs Chicago (NBA)

8 comments:

JSM said...

Can I also add Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Ottawa Senators or the Montreal Canadians....
Nod to the hockey world!
And I also would whole-heartedly agree with Michigan & OSU. One of my friends from Columbus will NEVER wear anything if navy and yellow are on it at the same time. It's OSU all the way.

jasonk said...

I would second your addition of the OU-Texas game. It is big.

If jsm is going to add hockey, I'll add cycling. Lance Armstrong-Jan Ulrich. In 98, Ulrich won the Tour de France, and most people thought he would dominate for a few years. But Lance beat him for the next seven years in a row, and in each year, Ulrich was on the podium, right behind him. It must have been frustrating to think about what might have been.

JRB said...

Florida v. Vanderbilt?

Come on. You know you want to add Florida v. Vanderbilt.

You're feeling it.

Yeah.

Florida v. Vanderbilt.

Go 'Dores.

Kenny Simpson said...

In basketball I assume, because that is the only place this would even be close to a rivalry. You can be happy now, knowing you're the only SEC team to beat the NCAA champs (just like Auburn in football).

Really, I thought Vandy was going to give Florida a game, but they really impressed me today.

Anonymous said...

that was a good game. fla didn't seem to play that well, but I think it was more due to vanderbilt disrupting them. and byars was on fire. seems like vanderbilt is usually pretty tough at home.

however, they really need to do something about those benches at the end. that still drives me crazy.

and, it's kevin stallings ball. don't try to take it away from him.

Roxy Wishum said...

Florida vs. Georgia?

Kenny Simpson said...

In my group of top rivalries, but Georgia needs to beat us every now and then for it to be a great rivalry :)

J. Beauchamp said...

Dodgers vs. Giants! You heathen. We were rivals before rivals were. Even the Dodgers vs. Yankees was a more heated rivalry than Yanks vs. Red Sox. 1955 baby.