Friday, December 01, 2006

Top 100 Artists Part III

Here is 60-41. Let the comments fly.

60: John Mellencamp: Another artist that I did not realize had sold so much music.

59: Stevie Wonder: A great musician that has a voice that I could listen to all day. Not to mention the fact that he is blind.

58: 2 Pac/Biggie Smalls: I know I am putting 2 together, but the impact of their careers, and deaths, is still felt in rap music.

57: Shania Twain: I know she has not done much since her 2-3 first albums. But both those started the Country/Pop era of music.

56: Hank Williams Sr.: An artist that has inspired many Country singers.

55: Barry Manilow: I am not a “fanilow” but do respect the fact that he still has a huge fan base. The fact that I work with a guy who sang back-up to him helps as well.

54: Marvin Gaye: “What’s going on” is a great album. He is an icon in his type of music.

53: Johnny Cash: How many of these artists have had a movie come out about their life? Answer: Not many.

52: Bee Gees: Their very unmanly high voices have sold a lot of records. And “Stayin alive” is still a big hit.

51: Ozzy Ozborne: Not a great role model but has influenced music in a way not many others have. His “Ironman” is a favorite of mine.

50: Areatha Franklin: The first of the Divas. Might have been the best too.

49: Fleetwood Mac: I didn’t realize how many albums they’d sold until I started doing research. The numbers alone put them this high.

48: Ray Charles: A great artist that succeeded despite of his condition. Also had a movie done on his life (an automatic to get onto this list).

47: Alice in Chains: This is for all the real metalheads out there.

46: Bon Jovi: Anytime I want to hear an artist that is better when he is screaming than singing I plug him in. I actually really enjoy many of his songs.

45: Reba McEntire: A great story teller in her music. “The lights went out in Georgia” is still a classic.

44: Santana: I’ll admit I had never heard of him before his recent success. He is a great musician however, and he is still producing music that is popular to everyone.

43: Eminem: He represents a lot that is wrong with America today. But his impact will not be forgotten. And he did prove that some white-boys can rap.

42: Hootie and the Blowfish: If they were not still trying to hang-on to their careers they would be much higher on the list. Their “cracked rear view” album is one of the greatest of all time.

41: Celine Deion: Great singer. She has put out several hits. If she was not Canadian she might have been higher on the list (just kidding). Love to hear her belt out the notes.

9 comments:

Jamey said...

AHHH!!! Blasphemy! Eminem is ranked higher than Frank Sinatra!

Kenny Simpson said...

Eminem has had a greater impact on "our" society than Sinatra has, especially with the people under the age of 30. Sinatra was a great artist, and probably could be ranked higher, but Eminem has sold about 8 times more music than Sinatra ever did.

Anonymous said...

omgah celine is no. one in my book. I worship her. I worship her. and i totally agree with jamey. frank should really be at the top. you cant really compare eminem and sinatra. eminem has a modern day advantage in record sales in the fact that people spend more on stuff like that now. when my mom was growing up, a coke was a treat. now flippin eight year olds own ipods.

Jamey said...

Times are different now, luckily for Eminem. Average people weren't able to go out and drop money on albums back then like they do now. I would also assume that music is more mass produced today than it was then. With those variables, of course Eminem has sold more.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jamey said...

Ashley and I must have been typing our last comments at the same time!

Kenny Simpson said...

Of course time has helped eminem, but his career is not over either. I personally enjoy Sinatra over Eminem, I'm just saying the kids I teach and those even in college and our age as a whole have listened to more Eminem than Sinatra.
What about the others on the list?

Jason said...

Sinatra has more talent in his dead, rotting pinky finger than Marshall Mathers will ever have. But I do like that 8 Mile song.

You're absolutely breaking my heart with Johnny Cash. Not even in the top 50? Ouch. His impact on both rock and country music was significant. Plus he's the Man in Black.

Unknown said...

Slim Shady higher than Sinatra and Cash. LOST YOUR MIND!!! You must have written this after Florida beat Arkansas couldn't think straight in your elated stupor.

And actually Sinatra has sold more than 250 million albums and MM has yet to break the 75 million mark.

Kenny Simpson said...

Impact of Sinatra: Nice people in fancy clothes sing in a slightly weird tone.

Impact of Eminem: Kids with awful clothes use words they should not and do things they shouldn't.

Which of these groups have more people in them?

Yes Sinatra should have been higher.