Monday, December 04, 2006

People person or task oriented person

Is it better to be a "people person" or someone, like me, that is task oriented? In class on Sunday the question was asked, and the answer was that both are important to have. I would agree, but I often wonder if it would be more important to focus on people than on getting the job done.
As a coach/teacher, I am friendly to the students I am around and do care about them, but I often am so OSD that I have to finish what I set out to do that day (especially in coaching).
The main example we use as Christians is Christ's, and many times he gives the example of putting people first and not always finishing whatever "task" was on his plate. I would say this is a bit unfair however, because Jesus' real task was people.

So I ask again is it better to be people minded or task oriented?

6 comments:

Jamey said...

First of all, I think you meant to say OCD, not OSD.. :)

I think there has to be a balance between both. If you see yourself as an extreme either way, work on leaning a little more in the opposite direction.

Kenny Simpson said...

I did mean OCD.

Sunny said...

I think that I tend to obsess over the task at hand and miss out on the people. Something that I need to constantly remind myself of.

Roxy Wishum said...

As mentioned Sunday (although in a Nyquil fog), I think of myself as a people-oriented person and will quickly drop a task to sit and listen to someone who is hurting--or celebrating--or just want to talk. I hope to continue to err on that side of the perfect balance because it seems most of us fall short in that area--showing love by giving our time. On the other hand, you can give a little time here and a little time there and neglect lots of duties you have promised to do. That, of course, communicates to family and friends who were counting on you a lack of love. I have been guilty of communicating to my family that they were not my top priority because I assumed they would understand sacrificing time with family to give it to someone who seemed to need it more. Balance is the key, it seems. And knowing yourself and your spouse is vital. I think lots of problems grow out of not understanding why we act the way we do. If I don't understand myself, how can I explain to my wife why I had time to blog and e-mail but not enough time to clean the bathroom?

Jason said...

The difference between being task-oriented and being people-oriented is the difference between Martha and Mary. Martha was so focused on the task at hand that she spent all her time working. Mary on the other hand made Jesus her priority. We can never forget how important people are.

Kat Simpson said...

Yes, but remember that balance is always the key,Jon, and we 'task oriented' Marys get the stuff done!

BTW, son, OCD, in our family = Asperger's syndrome. . . . .
Love ya, MamaKat