Friday, June 22, 2007

NFL Preview: NFC South and East

Here's the latest part of my NFL breakdown. The next post will have my playoff and superbowl picks.

NFC South

1) 11-5: New Orleans is everyones favorite it seems, and for good reason. They have one of the best offenses in the NFL and the defense has improved enough to make them a legit contender for the Super Bowl.

2) 9-7: Carolina has not been mentioned much in teams that have a shot at the playoffs, but I think they are a team that will shock many in the NFC and could make a run in the playoffs. Delhome to Steve Smith is as good a combination as you can get.

3) 6-10: Tampa Bay will continue to struggle and I think this is the last year for many of the older players on this team. In order to win they must start from scratch.

4) 5-11: Atlanta will fall even farther than it did last season. Even if Vick were not in trouble with the law I felt this was a .500 team at best. With him in trouble I see them having a rough year and eventually cutting ties with Vick.

NFC East

1) 10-6: Philadelphia is the best team in this division as long as they can stay injury free. Donovan has to stay healthy all season. I think this is the year of Westbrook to break out in a big way.

2) 9-7: Dallas will finish in the playoff hunt, but I am not sold on Romo or how Owens will handle it when things get a little tough. Their defense is not good enough to win many games either.

3) 9-7: New York will finish with a decent record this season. I think Manning will do well and the offense will be solid (although losing Barber will be a big loss), just am not sure about the coaching or the defense.

4) 8-8: Washington will be a much improved team this year with Campbell having experience and Portis being healthy. The defense is just not there yet. They are the best-worst team of a division though.

Up next: Playoff and Super Bowl picks

2 comments:

Jason said...

The NFC East is the best division in football, hands down. I think you're right about Philly and New Orleans. And I agree that Carolina will be a sleeper team. At this time a year ago everybody was picking them to go to the Super Bowl. I think they're still a good team.

Boy, I bet the Falcons execs are hatin' themselves for trading away Schaub now...

J. Canterbury said...

Man, I wish I had something to say about NFL teams but truth be told, I don't really watch them.

My creme de la creme is college football. Now there's something about which I could bloviate for hours! ;)